A class of overgrown 7 year olds

| |
Chocolates, caramels, candies and confections.  That's been the theme of the past few weeks.  It's enough sugar to give you a tummy ache like the time your parents were away for the weekend and the babysitter let you consume an entire bag of Starbursts before dinner.  Lesson learned?  Apparently not!  I've been on a daily rollercoaster of sugar highs and crashes.  Along with massive amounts of caffeine, there's nothing quite like snacking on and evaluating candies that should be wrapped up nicely in your pillowcase candy bag on Halloween before you've even approached lunch.  As delicious as they were, the sheer amount and variety of confections we created was enough to reduce the entire class to overgrown 7 year olds.  Stomach aches, sugar crashes and all, we were a collective whiny bunch of adult children.  There was literally one point where we were all clutching our stomachs, crying 'I ate too much sugar!'.  Funny now, sure, but at the time it was bad news bears.

A few days after the sugar attack, I've essentially regained composure and have since reflected on what a fun week it was working with confections.  Note to self: better to create the sweets rather than consume them.

Chocolate caramels enrobed in chocolate and topped with hazelnut 'crunchies'.
Peanut butter goodies snuggled up in a bed of chocolate and topped with lovely, crunchy bits.
Turtles.  Massive mounds of caramel and nuts smothered in chocolate and topped with hazelnut crunchies and cocoa nibs.
Hand rolled salted caramels.  One liners from I Love Lucy were of course, requisite.
Vanilla and Fleur De Sel caramels.  Every single ray of sunshine captured in little paper satchels.  I'm usually not a caramel girl but these were the devil!
French macaroons (or macarons).  Yes, I took the exact same photo that no less than 2,169 other people have taken of the much loved macaroon.  I'm sure you'll forgive me.
Some sort of macaroon flavor combo which was rather tasty.  We had so many combinations of macaroon shells and fillings/ganaches, it made my head spin.  I just know they were pretty and tasty.  Do you really ask for anything more?
Chocolate marshmallows.  These tasted like Count Chocula and looked like lava rocks.  I'm still on the fence.










Classic vanilla marshmallows.  My first experience eating a homemade marshmallow.  And I loved it.











Passion fruit pate de fruit and pistachio brittle.  The end of the day was literally like Halloween, everyone was 'shopping' at each table for different flavors of candies.














Toffee and pate de fruit fashioned into a day of the dead skull.  Yes, this was me playing with my food.















Nougat de Montelimar.  This was an absolutely insane creation, requiring perfect timing of 3 different elements of syrups and meringues.  With the amount of almonds, pistachios and sheer labor, I fully understand and appreciate why this candy is so damn expensive.  But delicious indeed!







No more sugar for me!  At least that's what I say until I approach next week which will be plated desserts.   Stay tuned.

1 comments:

Margie said...

Pure sin, you devil, PURE SIN! ;)

I am loving your adventure...the food, the food AND...

THE FOOD! I'm also getting a kick out of your writing.

You are a joy, pure and simple.

:)

Thanks for the fun.

Post a Comment